October 15, 2014

C&C Gives Back

This past weekend I was a part of a very important event for the Junior League of Portland (JLP), an organization for which I serve on the Board of Directors.  At the League's Community Action and Revitalization Event (CAREs) , JLP members participated in a volunteer-a-thon to raise funds to advance the mission of promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women, and improving the community.  

On Saturday morning we sent volunteers to eight venues throughout the city and spent half of the day doing projects to enhance the services and facilities of these Portland community organizations. JLP CAREs is the signature fundraising event for JLP, with all funds going directly to the general fund. 

I volunteered at Peninsula Children's Learning Center and helped to clean up the outside of their facility (I wish I had taken a before photo of that garden bed), while others sewed aprons, stained a play structure and helped with deep cleaning of the kitchen and other interior spaces.


Then later that night we held the first ever JLP CAREs Harvest Soiree to celebrate all of the hard work we had completed earlier in the day and to raise more money for the League. So I grabbed my +1 and some friends and we went out for a night on the town.

Here I am with C&C loyal reader Amanda. She followed Katie's lead and bought this gorgeous black dress from Maggy London (post here).


I wore a Zara skirt (last seen here) a Miss Sixty keyhole blouse that I got at Seams to Fit consignment here in Portland for $16, nude Kate Spade heels (going way back) and my Danielle Nicole clutch!


Here I am enjoying the signature cocktail of the evening with Amanda and another loyal C&C reader and friend, Stacy.

After the silent auction ended (I made one purchase), we headed over to Biwa for some amazing Japanese food. It was a wonderful night, and I've heard estimates of over $40,000 were raised between the volunteer-a-thon and the Harvest Soiree which is pretty awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment