November 9, 2016

C&C in the Kitchen

Yesterday I decided to make pureed vegetable soup. The first time we took the Mini Fashionista to Europe she spent the first week eating primarily fruit, bread and banana chips...that was until we got to this fantastic hotel in the Dolomites that had a pureed vegetable soup just for kids. She devoured it every night. 

With her tastes being somewhat difficult these days, especially at dinner time, I decided to see if the pureed vegetable soup was still a winner. 

I didn't follow a recipe, but I did find this great post from Epicurious that serves as a recipe for those of you that need one. 

Basic Instructions
- Sauté onion in chosen oil (I used butter) until soft
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute or two
- Chop all vegetables (I used butternut and delicate squash, turnips, carrots, potatoes and broccoli) 
- Add vegetables and stir for a few more minutes. I also added a little white wine (an opened bottle) and deglazed it. You can easily skip this step. 
- Add herbs (I added a sprig of thyme and a few rosemary) and salt and pepper
- Cover with water and simmer on high (covered) until all vegetables are soft. 
- Remove herbs before blending
- Blend (I used an immersion blender which is much easier than transferring to and from a blender)
- Add coconut milk or cream to thicken 

Here's what my soup looked like. We took a stale baguette and made some garlic croutons that we served on top.

So grab all of the veggies out of your refrigerator and try this! Unfortunately the Mini didn't love it as much as she did in Italy, but she ate it...somewhat willingly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment