June 9, 2015

C&C in the Kitchen

You may remember from my previous post that the Trader Joe's Cilantro salad dressing is a favorite in our house. As far as salad dressings go, it could be worse, but as with nearly everything that is packaged, it could be better.

My college roommate sent me a photo of her daughter eating a big bowl of greens with cilantro dressing. It was inspired by this photo that was in my recent "Healthy Eating" post (here).

Her dressing was homemade, and it inspired me to ditch the bottled dressing and make it from scratch using the recipe she sent me from The Garden Grazer.

Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing

Ingredients
1 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
1/2 avocado (or 1/2 cup plain coconut or Greek yogurt)
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime), more to taste
1-2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/8 tsp. salt
Recommended: cumin, honey/agave

Directions
Puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
Recipe yields 3/4 cup dressing

I served the dressing on Sunday over a quinoa salad with green onions, bell peppers and cilantro. It was a hit. I highly, highly recommend it. It's definitely going to become a staple in our house.

Now the real test is seeing if the Mini Fashionista likes it as much as she does the bottled version from Trader Joe's. I won't hold my breath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment