March 10, 2015

C&C in the Kitchen

I love granola. I could eat bowls and bowls of granola. Let's be honest...I have eaten bowls and bowls of granola. I'm pretty sure that's what I ate for breakfast nearly every day during college. I digress...

I rarely buy granola. I usually make it. The Mini Fashionista loves this brand. 


I've tried to get her on board with my homemade versions, but so far I've had no luck. But I think my luck could be changing. 

Thanks to my good friend, Katie K over at Dietitian on a Mission I have found THE BEST homemade granola recipe I have ever tasted. It tastes incredibly similar to the Nature's Harvest Granola that the Mini loves and it has the same light, airy texture. 


Katie promises granola with clusters and she delivers. I love granola with lots of clusters and usually my homemade granola falls short. Her directions to bake at a low temperature and NOT to stir are the key to success. Mission granola with crunchy clusters achieved! 


Try it, you won't be sorry! 

Ingredients:
1 cup chopped nuts of choice (I like a mix of almonds and cashews or pecans)
1 cup oats (gluten free, optional)
1/2 cup quinoa flakes
3/4 cup almond meal (or oat flour)
Pinch of salt 
1 cup seeds (I like a mix of pumpkin and sunflower)
2 Tbsp ground flax
1 Tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp cinnamon 
1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
1/3 cup maple syrup 
1 Tbsp vanilla 
3/4 cup dried fruit (I use a mix of mulberries, cherries and cranberries)

Method:
- Preheat oven to 275. 
- Melt coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chopped nuts, oats, quinoa flakes, almond meal, salt, flax, seeds, and cinnamon. Stir.
- Add the oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir well. 
- Pour granola into a rimmed baking pan . Bake for about 40- 45 minutes, until toasted and crunchy. Do not stir while baking. Remove from oven, and do not stir until fully cooked (to encourage clumps to stick around).
- Once cooled, add dried fruit and place granola is Tupperware. 

No comments:

Post a Comment