November 4, 2014

C & C in the Kitchen: Black Bean Brownies

Who doesn't love brownies? Exactly. There's nothing better than sinking your teeth into rich, moist, chocolatey goodness. Add a scoop of ice cream and you've really outdone yourself. 


As you maybe know (post here), I'm on a 6-week reboot run by my awesome dietician friend Katie. And a reboot doesn't translate to food desert - quite the contrary in fact. Now that I'm further into the reboot, there are some delicious "health treats" as my husband calls them that are really speaking my language. Namely Katie's "Favorite Black Bean Brownies." Since we're all about sharing the love here at C & C, I thought it was only fair to pass this recipe along. I dare you to eat just one...


1 15 oz can, drained and rinsed black beans
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup oat flour (or almond flour/whole wheat flour/gluten free flour)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave (I used agave)
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (you can also use vegetable oil)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract 
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or cacao nibs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients except chips in a food processor and blend until smooth (a vitamix will work, but the food processor really gets the job done right). Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8 x 8 pan. Option - sprinkle extra chocolate chips over the top. Cook 15-18 minutes - then let them cool at least 20 minutes before cutting. 

Even Dr. B said they were good! 



2 comments: