October 7, 2014

C & C on the Move: Paris Work and Play

We're all about Paris this week. While Regan is planning her trip next year, I'm just back from 6 days in the city of lights for work. Yes, I know, it's tough, but someone has to do it. I got a great rate at the darling Hotel Athenee on Travelocity. While the hotel is small and the rooms Paris-sized, the bed was comfortable, the shower spacious, and did I mention the Hermes bath products? Bonjour lover. It was also perfectly located just steps from the Opera, which is central to all of the must-sees, must-eats, and must-shops. 


I arrived early Saturday morning and after a quick shower to rid myself of all the plane cooties, I set to the streets to enjoy the Parisian Indian summer. 


Since we were just there last year (posts here), I had few select places I wanted to hit this trip - namely Merci. This cafe/restaurant/store is in the ever-so-trendy Marais and is what I love about retail. The shop is a true experience. And, they've got some killer healthy food in their basement garden cafe which was just the ticket for my jet lag. 


Before I turned in for the night (and after my dinner of Pierre Herme macarons - I think they're better than Laduree) I took another walk (I must have walked 10 miles on Saturday) to see the Eiffel Tour in all of its sunset glory. Isn't it photogenic. 


Sunday, Monday and Tuesday were filled with all day meetings and dinners. Thankfully I was fueled by some ridiculously delicious cuisine...and did I mention the dessert? The mille feuille bottom right was one of those desserts that tasted even better than it looked. And it was worth every delicious calorie. 


One of the highlights of the week was a tour of Galeries Lafayette by their chairman. This 100+ year-old retailer knows how to do it right, from the world's most luxurious brands to those that the rest of us can buy. And, a well-kept Paris secret, the view from their rooftop is rivaled only by that of the Eiffel Tower - and a visit is free - well, that's if you can walk through the store without buying anything. Bonne chance. 


Tuesday night gave me the opportunity to break out this cocktail dress I got from Nordstrom earlier this year. I'm so glad I bought it. A fun pair of earrings and a great shoe turn this basic black dress into an elegant, timeless classic - and for an incredible price (sorry for the selfies - the perils of traveling alone). 


Finally on Wednesday my colleague (who had never been to Paris) and I played hookie, and I got to show him all of the sites. We logged another 12+ mile walking day...


...which included a trek up the Eiffel Tour, my first ever in four trips to the city. I must say the view was worth the wait and the hike. There's a reason they say Paris is the most beautiful city in the world. 


A la prochaine Paris! 

No comments:

Post a Comment