September 3, 2014

C & C in the Kitchen: Labor Day Dining

While I may not love cooking during the week, I LOVE to entertain on the weekends. And on Saturday we had some friends over to celebrate the end of summer. With some of the season's best ingredients still at their prime, I made sure the menu took full advantage. Nectarines might be my favorite fruit. Add some Raincoast Crisps and pepper jack cheese and, voila, it's an appetizer plate.  I also grabbed some kale and spinach bites (I think they're a new product) from Trader Joe's, and they were awesome! Like little bundles of spinach dip popped right in your mouth. 



For the main course we had beef shish kabobs, corn salad (recipe below), and orzo salad (brought by our guests). 


And a dinner party isn't complete without dessert. And I knew molten chocolate cakes would be a crowd-pleaser. I'd never made these before, and they were SO easy, and SO good. The recipe makes 12 little cakes, so I'd definitely half the recipe if you aren't entertaining a large number of people - although they're pretty good the next day too. What I also love about this recipe is that you can make the batter well ahead of time, which is a hostess's dream. 


Bon Appetit!

Corn Salad (serves 6)

4 ears of corn cut off cob
4 green onions (separate the white bottoms and green tops)
3 tomatoes chopped
1 avocado chopped
Cilantro 
1 lime

Cut the corn off the cob (put it on a cookie sheet and it won't go everywhere). 
Saute the corn, white parts of the onion in olive oil for 3-5 minutes). 
When cool, add to the avocado, tomato, cilantro, 1/2 the green onion tops, and juice of the lime. 
Add salt and pepper and you're ready to go! 




No comments:

Post a Comment