August 27, 2014

C & C in the Kitchen: Easy Weeknight Frittata

Weeknight cooking is my least favorite thing. And I don't say that lightly. Thank the Lord for Blue Apron which has truly added years back onto my life in the last 10 months. But…they only provide us with three meals, leaving four days to either cook, eat out, or order take out. Last week we'd made all of our Blue Apron meals but were home for the night. I needed to use up some eggs that were at their prime along with some veggies. Enter the frittata. The frittata is an Italian egg-based dish that similar to an omelet or quiche (but without the crust). It roughly translates to "egg-cake." And you can pretty much put anything in it. Here's how to make a frittata. 


Ingredients
8 eggs (beat the eggs in a small bowl)
1/2 cup grated pepper jack cheese (roughly)
1 cup diced peppers (roughly)
1 corn on the cob (cut off)
Handful of cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 tsp of basil (I used the frozen cubes from Trader Joe's)
1 tsp of Oregano
1 clove of garlic

*I wish I'd also had some onion and spinach to add
* You can add any ingredients you want - veggies, sausage, etc. - although I'd stick with a max of 3-4. 

Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. 

Heat olive oil in a pan until hot (I used my Le Creuset).
Add garlic and sauté until fragrant
Add the peppers (vegetables that take longer to cook) and sauté until soft
Add the corn and continue to cook
Add the tomatoes last (I don't' like mine too cooked)
Add in herbs and stir for 30 seconds
Evenly spread vegetables on the bottom of the pan, and cover with grated cheese until it melts slightly. Pour the eggs over top of the vegetables - continue cooking on the stove top until the egg cooks slightly around the edges
Transfer pan to oven for 10 minutes (you'll know when it's done by sticking a knife in the middle without having any egg run)
I stuck mine under the broiler for 1-2 minutes to slightly brown the top
Let cool for 5 minutes, cut, and serve!




No comments:

Post a Comment