May 2, 2014

Beauty Basics

There isn't much to my beauty routine...if you can even call it a "beauty routine".  I wear minimal makeup and most days none at all. I am clueless when it comes to makeup application. I do my best, but I know there are techniques I could use to enhance my features in a better way.

I've actually really come to question "makeup" in general lately. Here is why: It's really hard to explain to The Mini Fashionista why I put on makeup. In fact...I don't feel there is a good, logical explanation at all. Women spend all this time talking about how we need to embrace our natural beauty and be comfortable in our own skin, yet many women I know (me excluded) won't even leave the house without makeup. We tell our daughters that they are beautiful just the way they are, yet we cannot accept ourselves as such. Actions speak louder than words, and we are sending them mixed messages. So, I still haven't found a good explanation for why I wear makeup, and luckily she's not that interested in it, but I know a time will come when I need a better answer. Anyone have suggestions?

All that said, today's post was not intended to be so serious. I actually started out writing with the purpose of sharing my favorite lipgloss and lip balm. Talk about a digression...

Anyway, lipstick is the last thing I think about, but I do like keeping my lips moist, (I hate that word) and a pop of color is never a bad thing, so these two products are perfect for me.

Burt's Bees Lip Shine

And the Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm (which comes in a cool, but useless little cardboard tube).

If you are looking for something for everyday wear that adds a little color to your lips and prevents them from getting dry and chapped, I highly recommend trying the Burt's Bees lip products. Added bonus, they are 100% natural!

1 comment:

  1. My girls are a little older than your mini and have actually questioned why I wear make -up, so I have a little bit of experience with this. Maybe think of it this way: how do you explain to her why you go get your nails painted or have closets and dressers full of clothes and shoes when you don't really NEED that many? Why do we buy new dresses for big events even though we already have dresses? How do you explain why you buy new clothes and shoes for yourself even though you aren't growing any more and already have lots? How do you explain your blog to her? Why do we have to brush our hair every day and sometimes put fancy bows in it? Why do we wear jewelry? I tell my girls that sometimes it's just fun to be kind of fancy. It's not necessary, it just kind of fun like how they play dress-up at home and walk around in my high heels. They like to wear lots of necklaces and put fancy bows in their hair, and one way grown-ups like to feel fancy is they wear makeup. I also tell my girls when I'm getting extra-dressy for an event (more makeup than usual and extra time spent doing my hair) that sometimes it's good to be appropriate for the situation. It would be disrespectful to show up to a wedding in muddy shoes and stained clothes full of holes, but it would also be inappropriate to do garden work in a wedding dress. This has just been my approach, for what it's worth:)

    ReplyDelete