March 31, 2014

Keeping It Real: 30 for 30

Hey, it's Katie! I've yet to venture into the "keeping it real" posting. Regan has addressed some awesome topics and you've responded with great comments. Now it's my turn. This post is inspired by friend and blogger Hilary Phelps' annual 30 for 30 -- 30 days of fitness to feel 30% better. Every April she sets out to reinvigorate her workout routine by doing something active every day for the entire month. And this year, I'm committing to it. I need to get back on the wagon. As my very wise husband says....


I work. I work a lot. And my workouts have suffered because of it. Add on a few years of various chronic joint problems - Dr. B says he got me in the bargain bin - and not only have I lost my fitness, but I've also gained a few pounds. But this challenge isn't about the weight loss. Sure, I wouldn't complain if I could wear half of my closet again (that's always a plus), but for me it's really about taking control of my fitness. As Hilary says, it takes 21 days to create a habit, and this is just the inspiration I need to start a new one.

Central to this challenge (and really any long-term plan) is setting reasonable goals. Just because I used to operate at a certain fitness level and do some pretty hard core training, doesn't mean that's what I'm able to do now. And that's hard. It's a hard, startling reality. Especially when I spent my life as a competitive athlete. I've got to learn to be kind and listen to my body, or I'll continue in this state of perpetual injury. So that means my daily activity (especially if I'm working out 7 days a week) might just be a good walk around the neighborhood. And I've got to be at peace with that and not compare myself to others or to what I used to be able to do. Easier said than done.

So here are three goals to go along with the daily activity:

Be diligent daily about my PT exercises - if this is just the start, I've got to build my foundation back up, and that starts with the little stuff, not the hard core sweating.

Go to bed by 10:30 p.m. - right now I stay up until 11:30 or 12:00 because I get home too late and by the time we eat, I need some time to decompress. Your body needs rest and fuel (good clean eating) to function at its highest capacity.

Workout two mornings a week - if I'm going to bed earlier, this should be no problem. There's nothing better than starting the day with a workout.


Who wants to join me (and Hilary) in 30 for 30? April starts tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment