February 28, 2014

C&C in the Kitchen

Okay, so I know that this is the second "in the kitchen" post of the week, but I have people waiting for this recipe, so I didn't want to hold off on sharing it!

On Sunday I woke up with a sore throat, so instead of going for our planned trip to Mt. Hood to XC ski, I spent the day mostly indoors. After a lazy morning in bed, I decided that The Mini Fashionista and I should make blueberry muffins. 

I went to Pinterest and searched "greek yogurt blueberry muffins".  I found a recipe that was pinned as " healthy power muffins", so I opened it. Upon reading the recipe I had to just shake my head. The author's justification of it being "healthy" was the inclusion of whole wheat flour and oats. What about the fact that it contains sugar and 1/2 stick of butter? Pretty sure that's not my definition of healthy. 

So, like with most baking recipes I find, I decided to use it as inspiration to develop my own recipe. I chose to make the recipe gluten free so that I could share the muffins with my gluten intolerant friends. I keep GF oats and flour on hand just for that reason. 

Greek Yogurt Blueberry Muffins (gluten free)
Coconut oil cooking spray
2 cups flour (I used gluten free but you can use regular or whole wheat)
1 cup oats (gluten free or regular)
1/3 cup coconut sugar (maple sugar is also a good substitute to white sugar)
3 TBS Trader Joe's Flax ground seed with blueberries (you can use regular flax or omit this ingredient)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.5 cups Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons honey (you can also use agave)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries (you can also use frozen)

Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet with the cooking spray. I don't recommend using muffins cups as they will stick to the paper.

There are two ways to do this 1) mix all your dry ingredients and then mix the "wet" ingredients and then add the dry to the wet or 2) throw everything (except the blueberries) in the order as listed above into your mixer and mix it all together. This is the way I did it. Clearly not the "proper" technique, but it works! Finally, fold in the blueberries. 

Scoop into the muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on the top. You will nearly fill each muffin tin.

Here is the end result! 




These muffins are good, crazy good! I hope you find the time to bake them and enjoy sometime very, very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment