March 3, 2014

Oscar Red Carpet Recap

Where to begin? Last night was the Super Bowl of fashion....and unlike this year's Super Bowl, in my opinion, there wasn't one clear winner. But there were some incredibly beautiful dresses. So instead of best and worst dressed (I'm going to play nice), I'm going with some general commentary on the night and trends from the red carpet. 

Let's start with the golden girls in my mind. I adore the simple silhouettes of Amy's and Jennifer's dresses. While Amy's hair wasn't my favorite, the flawless fit of her Gucci dress and the incredible Tiffany earrings were showstoppers, in the most understated way. And J. Law...what to say. Her imperfections (tripping on arrival) make her perfectly lovable - and this Dior might just be my favorite yet. I do love a good peplum. 


Black was back on the red carpet, and Emma Watson (Vera Wang), Charlize Theron (Dior), and Julia Roberts (Givenchy) prove that you can never go wrong with a LBD (long black dress). 


Neutral palettes abounded. While some might consider these dresses modest, I think they are stunning. Sarah Paulson (Elie Saub), Cate Blanchett (Giorgio Armani), and Sally Hawkins (Valentino) give new meaning to the word demure. Who needs plunging necklines and thigh-high slits? Embellish it all! 


Camilla Alves (can't for the life of me find the designer of her dress) and Penelope Cruz (Giambattista Valli) looked pretty in pink....and it worked. 


I love myself a good plunging neckline (aka, I'm not well endowed so it's the anti-cleavage). And Lupita Nyong'o (Prada) and Kate Hudson (Versace) made every girl out there wish she was flat chested. If I had to pick a best dressed, Lupita would be my girl. Especially if you factor in her incredible acceptance speech. I'll forgive her for that headband. 


And it wouldn't be an awards show without the ever-trending baby bump. As much as it pains me to say this, Kristin Cavallari (Alexander McQueen) takes home the golden baby, followed in close second by Olivia Wilde (Valentino). I'm not sure what has happened to Kerry Washington...I think her prego brain has translated into one giant fashion brain fart (this isn't the first time). Her makeup and hair were flawless, but this looks like a Frette satin bed sheet held together with a bedazzled swarovski crystal bobby pin (okay, I couldn't make it through the entire post with out a little cattiness). 


And I leave you with two special shout outs. Bette Midler, the wind was definitely "beneath your wings" in this Reem Acra. It's good up close, and "from a distance." "The rose" color is perfection against your porcelain skin. You "boogie woogie bugle boy" the night away. 


Frank, I mean Kevin, you make this nah-vey tuxado look mahvalous. I'm seriously rethinking our wedding choices...you know I would have gone there. 


And that, my friends, is a wrap. Who were your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment