May 29, 2018

Keeping it Real: Letting Go of Friendship

One of my intentions for the new year (you can read the post here) was to focus more on the friendships that really matter...the ones that fuel my soul and leave me feeling supported and loved and warm and fuzzy.

In the process of identifying the friendships that mattered most to me, I game to grips with the fact that some of my "friendships" weren't truly friendships anymore. I struggle with letting friendships go. I think we all do. It's hard to let something go that once brought you joy and happiness. This "quote" really sums it up.
Image result for once best friends now strangers with memories

I read something once that said, "Not all friendships are meant to endure, and that's okay." I've had two friends over the last few years that have become strangers with memories. I spent time trying to make them "work", but they just haven't. I didn't feel the effort was mutual. In fact, it sometimes felt that there was no effort at all. Who knows, maybe they felt the same. It's hard not to take the losss of a friendship personally. But the reality is that life changes and friendships change and sometimes not all friendships endure, and that's okay. So despite some sadness, I've decided to move on.
Sometimes sad but true

In the process of moving on, I've realized that letting go of a friendship doesn't mean that I won't miss that friend. In fact, I will probably always miss them. We had good times. We made good memories. And just like with any loss, I need to allow myself time to grieve it.

With the intention of focusing on the friendships that matter most, I recently hopped a red-eye to Detroit to visit one of my dear friends for the weekend. Our time together reminded me that true friendship endures time and distance and the roller coaster that is life, and it is these friendships, the ones that leave me feeling warm and fuzzy, are the ones I should focus my energy on.

No comments:

Post a Comment