March 5, 2018

Red Carpet Rundown

Truth be told I haven't seen any of the films nominated for best picture in last night's Academy Awards. Second truth, we were en route back from the mountain when the pre-show/red Carpet was on, so today's Red Carpet Rundown is brought to you courtesy of People Magazine....who had a full slide show that allowed me to pick my "hits" and "misses" from last night's carpet.

After my last Red Carpet Rundown I took some heat for the superficial nature of these reviews. Please know that they are meant to be lighthearted, and remember that fashion is completely subjective, so what I like may be different from others, and neither of us are right or wrong. That's the beauty of fashion....that there is always something for everyone.

Anyway, on with the show! Let me start with the "misses".

Emma Stone is one beautiful and talented leading lady, but her choice of this satin pants and blazer missed the mark for me as they're a bit too casual for Hollywood's biggest night.

I debated on whether or not I liked this dress. In fact, it caused a lot of debate in the fashion world. Some loved it, while others hated it.  I LOVE the top. The neckline is stunning, as is the seam down the center, and it fits her perfectly. But, the bottom half just doesn't do it for me. The size of the slit against the gigantic bow feels off. Bottom line, we've seen better from Nicole Kidman. 

While I'd imagine this gown and the feathers are incredible up close, from a distance it looks like something one might wear on Survivor when you have to make your own clothes from the indigenous grasses. 

This is a miss for so many reasons. Enough Said. 

Actress Blanca Blanco continued her award season trend of wearing the most revealing dress of the evening (here). I'd like to know how one sits down in such a dress?

Salma Hayek's dress left much to be desired. 

And to finish up my list of "misses", Indie Singer St. Vincent. This outfit reminds me of something Bjork would wear. 

HITS 
And now for the "Hits". Margot Robbie has been consistently stunning on the Red Carpet. Now this is how a leading lady dresses for the biggest night in Hollywood. 

Jennifer Garner's dress is probably my most favorite of the night. I LOVE it, but her hair is a miss. I would have liked to see something a little more sleek and elegant to match how stunning this dress is. 

I don't know what it is, but I really like this dress. 

I love that Rita Moreno re-wore her dress from 1962. 

Too bad she didn't leave the top the same, as it was even more fabulous back then.

God I hope I look this good at 80! Jane Fonda is classic and timeless and the epitome of chic. 

Laura Dern was also stunning in white! 

Allison Williams brought out the Old Hollywood Glamour in this stunning gown. 

Allison Janney really nailed it with this dress. The neckline, the sleeves, the train. This dress is what the Oscars are all about. If I had to choose best dressed, including the hair and makeup, she wins it for me.

Lastly, I will say that Kelly Ripa and Marc Consuelos had my best dressed couple of the night when I saw this photo.  I love a ballgown, and it's even better when it has pockets!! 

And then I saw this photo of the other half of the back of her dress. It could have been so good...but it wasn't. Sigh. 

So my best dressed couple of the night goes to Sam Rockwell and Leslie Bibb.

Mainly because I love her J. Mendel gown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment