April 11, 2016

C & C on the Move: Zika Free Holiday

As you might have read here, we recently returned from a week away...or a babymoon...or a Zika free holiday...whatever you want to call it, vacation is simply good for the soul. We spend a lot of our vacation with my family in either Baja or Sun Valley, which is great, but there's something to be said for some one-on-one time  with Dr. B and being 100% on our own agenda.
 
We started the week with two nights at The Montage in Laguna (where my cousins live...one of which is the executive chef at the property). This is truly one of my most favorite hotels.

 
We were welcomed by the most amazing treats (their macarons are seriously good...they give Pierre Hermes in Paris a run for its money), cocktail fixings for Dr. B, and some Wine Soda for me. This product is new to me and I love the concept. Put it in a wine glass and you almost feel like you're getting the real deal. 

 
While the weather wasn't Mexico-warm, we did get a day by the pool (70 degrees is warm enough for me)...where we sat next to Kristin Chenoweth and Leah Remini...no big deal. Both mornings we walked into Laguna Beach to Banzai Bowls for acai bowls. Seriously one of my most favorite breakfasts. I wish we had a good place for them here in D.C. One of these days when I open my own restaurant we'll have them on the menu. 

 
From Laguna we drove to Palm Springs, where neither Dr. B or I had been. The weather there was about 15 degrees warmer, which was just what the doctor ordered. We stayed at this awesome "micro resort" called The Wesley Palm Springs that friends recommended. It was in a great location close to town, had a nice pool, bikes for guest use, and comfortable accommodations. We were in "flat 3." If you're looking for a reasonably-priced spot in the area, this was excellent. 
 
 
The highlight of our time there was definitely a day in Joshua Tree. Any time there's a hike involved, I'm a happy girl. It was only about 65 degrees up there and a bit windy the day we went, but it was perfect. We did the Lost Horse Loop Trail which was about 7 miles with a little hike up to the Lost Horse Mine.


The landscape is absolutely incredible and the only way to describe a Joshua Tree is as something right out of a Dr. Seuss book.


 
We ended with lunch at the suggestion of friends at Pappy + Harriet's. This place is NOT TO BE MISSED. It's off the beaten path, kind of in the middle of nowhere and a total find. We got there at 2:30 p.m. and there was still a bit of a wait. We saddled up to the bar where I enjoyed an Arnold Palmer (a favorite of my pregnancy) and a wicked-good pulled pork BBQ sandwich. Their BBQ sauce had just the right amount of vinegar (another one of my cravings) and the coleslaw on top made it. 

 
Another morning we hiked Tahquitz Canyon which was in walking/biking distance from our place. It's a great hike for kids (a short 2 mile loop) with a really pretty waterfall at the half-way point. That being said, once was good for us. You have to pay to hike here ($12/person) which is a hard pill to swallow for this Idaho girl.

 
And now to the really important stuff...where we ate. Aside from Pappy + Harriet's my most favorite meal (meals really) in Palm Springs was at Cheeky's. We had breakfast here twice and it's right up my alley. The menu changes weekly and everything we had was delicious. I would have loved to eat lunch here too (next trip). 
 
 
We had dinner at their sister restaurant Birba next door, which was also good (and kid friendly). 

 
Drinks at The Parker and dinner at So.Pa. The Parker is a total design trip courtesy of Jonathan Adler. And So.Pa., at L'Horizon Resort & Spa, was a truly beautiful setting. The entire restaurant is outdoors and has a very cool vibe. Our food was over-salted, but other than that no complaints.
 
 
We also got lunch and smoothies from Palm Greens Cafe, which is my kind of food. I wanted to try everything on the menu. I guess another reason to go back.

 
 
Which we'll definitely be doing at some point. An easy two hour drive from LA (with plenty of In-N-Outs along the way), I see why it's a popular vacation spot...especially during the winter months. The last big trip (we've got a few weekend jaunts) before Baby McB arrives in July, we definitely enjoyed every minute.


No comments:

Post a Comment