October 13, 2015

C & C in the Kitchen: Tastes Like Fall

I love fall. It's hands down my most favorite time of year. From the weather and the fashion to the food (we've got a recipe you won't want to miss in today's post!)...fall does it right. This weekend, my first at home since Labor Day, was pure perfection. We had the most gorgeous Saturday for a hike at Sugarloaf Mountain in Maryland. 




Followed by a stop with all of of D.C. Maryland, and Virginia (the place was packed) at Homestead Farm to pick up some pumpkins, gourds and fresh fruit and veggies. 



We capped off the day with dinner at our MOST FAVORITE spot, Pizzeria Paradiso. I'm a sucker for their specials - and it didn't disappoint. They had me at pumpkin-ricotta pesto, locally smoked bacon, red onion, Parmesan and pine nuts. 


And on Sunday I put some of our fresh veggies to use with my MOST FAVORITE butternut squash soup to-date. Thanks to Blue Apron I'm much more confident with my cooking, and I threw this one together all on my own sans recipe! That's a first for me. Not to toot my own horn, but you should probably try it. It was delicious. 


Katie's Butternut Squash Soup

1 medium butternut squash
1 yellow onion
1 apple (I used an empire)
1 medium sweet potato
3 - 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk (I used light)
2 - 3 cloves of garlic (or a small spoonful if you use the pre-chopped like I often do). 

Seasoning (to your personal taste - I did a few shakes for each)
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350. 

Peel sweet potato and chop into small pieces. Cut butternut squash in half, drizzle with olive oil (I used Trader Joe's coconut oil cooking spray), and place face down on a cookie sheet. Spread sweet potatoes around the pan (also lightly drizzle with oil). Cook for 30 - 40 minutes or until squash is soft throughout (watch the sweet potatoes to make sure they don't burn - take out early if needed). 

While the squash roasts, chop the onion and apple. When the squash is finished and cool enough, scoop out of skin. 

Heat olive oil and add onion until soft and fragrant (3-4 minutes). Add garlic and apples and sauté for 1 minute. Add spices - stir for 30 seconds. Add coconut milk and broth (enough to cover ingredients - less if you want a thicker soup, more if you like it thin). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. 

Place contents into blender and puree. 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment