January 19, 2015

C&C in the Kitchen

For the month of January I have made an attempt to cut both refined sugar and alcohol out of my diet. Truth be told, I haven't cut it out completely, but I'm trying, and that's what counts. 

On Friday I was craving something sweet, so I decided to try a new recipe I found for No-bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars on the blog Hummusapien. 


These bars are GOOD. I mean....really, really good! It's hard to just eat one...or two...or three.  I made them again yesterday using almond butter, and they were equally as tasty. Try them. You won't be sorry. 

INGREDIENTS
7 large pitted medjool dates(about ½ cup packed), soaked
5 tbsp hot water
½ cup peanut butter
3 tbsp brown rice syrup (or honey)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups old-fashioned oats
¼ cup chia seeds
2 tbsp ground flaxseed

INSTRUCTIONS
Line a shallow baking dish with parchment paper (or wax paper). I used a 7x11 glass dish.
Place pitted dates in a bowl. Cover with boiling or very hot water (I used my tea kettle). Allow them to soak for at least 10 minutes.
Place soaked dates plus 5 tbsp of the soaking water in a blender (I used my nutribullet). Blend until combined. The mixture will be very thick.
Place date mixture, peanut butter, brown rice syrup, and vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until well-combined and heated through.
In a large bowl, combine oats, chia seeds, and flax. Stir in wet mixture until combined.
Spoon mixture into baking dish, pressing very firmly so mixture is evenly spread throughout pan. It should be very compact. Place another piece of parchment paper on top and press down firmly. Remove top piece of parchment and freeze bars for at least 2 hours.
Cut into 12 bars. Store in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment