April 14, 2014

Keeping it Real

I drive past the cemetery everyday...usually multiple times a day. It's a big, beautiful cemetery with acres and acres of green grass and trees. That is what I usually admire as I drive past.

However, yesterday as I drove by I noticed a man with two young children, a boy and a girl, all dressed up in their "Sunday best".  I'm assuming the man was their father. Suddenly I couldn't help but assume that since they were a family of three, that they were visiting their mother's grave (BIG assumption, I know).

In that moment, I was flooded with emotion, with sadness. The kind of emotion that you can feel coming from your heart, from your chest moving up into your throat, the kind that makes your mouth water, the kind that makes you gulp and the kind that brings color to your cheeks and ultimately tears to your eyes.

I cried.

We had a bit of a hectic morning, a stressful morning, and suddenly all of that seemed meaningless. That moment reminded me that life can be short, that tragic things happen and that we really must take care of the people we love, to cherish them and to love them as if every moment is our last.

Hug the people you love. Treat them with kindness, always. Tell them that you love them. Today and everyday.

That's all.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, a big virtual hug to you right now. I was thinking about you today and I how much I wished we could go for a power walk up Vista in the sunshine!
    -Jen M

    ReplyDelete