November 28, 2013

Keeping it Real on Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are all enjoying the day with family and friends. I thought I might take a moment to reflect on the last year and all of the things that I am thankful for. I recently came across this quote and it really resonated with me. It's something I am trying to remind myself of on a daily basis.

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything."

Just a few months ago Katie and I lost our very dear friend of over 20 years, Fernanda, to cancer. She was young, vibrant, beautiful, smart and charismatic, and she was only 34 years old.  Her life ended much too soon. Since then I find myself more frequently evaluating my life and what is most important…my family, my friends, my health and my happiness. I think of her daily and am inspired by the will she had to live and the fight that she gave cancer. She was one of the strongest, most determined women I have ever known, and I will miss her terribly.

So, in honor of Fernanda, I thought I would use this post to give thanks for those things in my life that are most important to me. I hope after reading this you will take a few minutes to do the same.

I am Thankful For:

- A healthy and happy child that brings so much joy to my life. There is no greater love than that which you have for your child.

- A husband who works hard to support our family so that I can enjoy spending more time with our child.

- A husband that loves me unconditionally, even when I'm grouchy and tired.

- A sister who is always there for me despite being on the other side of the country. She is my biggest critic and my biggest cheerleader. It is the best possible combination .

- A mother who taught me that there are no greater words than "I love you." I say it to the Mini countless times a day.

- A father who will do anything to protect me and keep our family safe.

- In-laws that will do anything to help us, anytime, anywhere. Can you say, "free dogsitting and babysitting!"..among countless other things.

- Girlfriends...who are my counselors, my shoulders to cry on, and my cheering squad. There is nothing better than a coffee date with a girlfriend. You all know who you are.

- Mom friends (who are also my girlfriends) and playdates. Time passes much more quickly and enjoyably with another adult.

- Barre3. It's not just a workout, it's a lifestyle. It's a community. They are "my people", and I feel so fortunate to be a part of the team.

- A safe and comfortable home to raise my child in.

- A "BIG ASS, SAFE" car. Two years ago a woman ran a red light and t-boned our car. It rolled. The Mini Fashionista was only 7 weeks old. I drive a Yukon for a reason!

- The list could go on….and on….What can I say, I'm a lucky girl.

So despite the fact that we spend a lot of time on C&C telling you about all the cool new things you should "want" to have, I hope you will join me and spend just a little bit more time in the coming weeks being grateful for the things we already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment