February 26, 2013

Austria, I miss you Already

Our European adventure began at the Munich airport where we picked up our Mercedes Vito Van. We could have carried an entire ski team we had so much room! 


Our first stop on our two week long adventure was Ramsau, Austria to visit our friends and to do some XC skiing before heading to Italy. Ramsau is about one hour from Salzburg and is a winter paradise. This was my 5th trip to Austria, 3rd in the winter. Katie and I had Austrian au pairs growing up, three of which came from this area. Two of them still live there, and they are like family, so we take any chance we can get to visit them. 

Our accommodations, Alpin Apartments - Reinhard Tritscher is a Pension owned/run by the family of one of our former au pairs. She lives right next door, so we got to spend lots of time together. 



This is the view from our apartment. Could it be any more beautiful? 

A photo from one of my many XC skis around Ramsau. 

The tallest mountain in the region, Dachstein. Katie and I hiked to the top in the summer several years ago. It is incredible all seasons! 

I enjoyed skiing and spending time with my friend Gudrun and her family. 

The Mini Fashionista enjoyed sledding and all the winter activities with her new friends Annika and Yannik.



One afternoon we ventured to the opposite side of the valley to visit our other au pair Birgit on her farm. She made us delicious cakes and coffee.


The Mini loved meeting Birgit's horses.


Don't worry, she told the sheep her vest is faux shearling. They felt better.

This is one of my favorite photos from the trip...two of my Austrian au pairs, Gudrun and Birgit, and Gudrun's son Yannik.

And here is our final photo. We are all wearing our new hats made by Gudrun's mother-in-law Helmar. 

It was really, really hard for me to leave Gudrun and her family, so after a tearful goodbye we packed up and headed out in the Vito. Next stop, Italy!

No comments:

Post a Comment