May 4, 2018

Sunscreen Showdown

Did you know that what you put "on" your body is just as important as what you put "in" your body? Your skin is the largest organ of your body and since it is porous, it absorbs whatever you put on it. Just think about how many things you put on your body in a day, even if you don't wear makeup....shampoo and conditioner, face lotion, body lotion, sunscreen....

A study published in the American Journal of Public Health looked into the skin’s absorption rates of chemicals found in drinking water. It showed that the skin absorbed an average of 64% of total contaminant dosage. Other studies found the face to be several times more permeable than broad body surfaces and an absorption rate of 100% for underarms and genitalia. And another peer-reviewed study showed 100% absorption for fragrance ingredients.

Given the frequency you apply sunscreen and the fact that you put it ALL OVER your body, you should probably know what's in it. "In theory, sunscreen should protect us from UV radiation without irritating our skin, causing allergies, losing their effectiveness or forming potentially harmful products. However, most sunscreens today fail this basic criterion which raises major concerns for our health." (source)

So, what's really in your sunscreen?

On our recent trip to Mexico I was applying sunscreen on myself and the Mini every two hours. I've used the Beautycounter sunscreen for a while now, and I really like the products, but I decided to try a few new ones to compare.

Here's what my sunscreen showdown looked like!

1. Beautycounter All Over Sunscreen- Overall this is one of my favorite "safe" sunscreens. It's definitely thicker than most sunscreen, but the good ones are. That's why they're good. :)

2. Blue Lizard Sport Sunscreen- This Blue Lizard was far superior to the other Blue Lizard I tried (see below). It's very similar to the thickness of the Beautycounter, and while it still takes some work to rub it in, it's not such a workout. However, according to EWG it contains oxybenzone, so this one might be out for me. 

3. Blue Lizard Face Sunscreen- This one was also a winner for me. The price is good, it's not too thick, is relatively free of scent and performs well. 
Blue Lizard Face Sunscreen SPF 30+-5 oz

4. Beautycounter Protect Stick and Beautycounter Protect Face Stick- I love these sunscreens for their portability. I keep them in my car and in my purse for those unexpected moments when I realize I left the house without applying sunscreen. They go on easily and rub in nicely. 
 

5. Blue Lizard Sensitive Sunscreen- I really wanted to like this, but it was so thick. It felt like a workout just to apply the sunscreen. I like that it has little to no scent, but that doesn't make up for its other shortcomings. The Beautycounter out performs this one for sure. 

I do really like the fact that the bottle turns blue when exposed to UV light, so you know even if it's cloudy or if you are in the shade if you are being exposed. 


6. Babo Botanicals SPF 30 Spray-  I thought I'd throw a spray in the mix, even though I know they aren't as effective at fully covering your body. I love Babo Botanicals shampoo/conditioner for the Mini, but the sunscreen fell short. Since I know spraying doesn't provide full coverage, I tried to rub it in which created this terrible film on my skin. I won't buy this one again. 
Babo Botanicals Sheer Zinc SPF 30 Natural Continuous Fragrance Free Sunscreen Spray, 6 Fluid Ounce


7. Alba Botanica Sport Mineral Sunscreen- This one is also a big "no" for me because of the thickness. It's as bad as the Blue Lizard.
Alba Botanica Sunscreen Sport Mineral SPF 45, 4 Ounce
If you're looking for a way to identify harmful ingredients in your sunscreen, the EWG has a great "Guide to Sunscreen" that lists the ingredients and the level of concern for each one. Check it out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment