May 1, 2018

Keeping it Real: Outside of My Comfort Zone

Nearly 8 years ago I left Nike to start my own business. It took a lot of guts and a little bit of crazy to step away from a salary and such a well known brand, but I did it, and I haven't looked back since. In the past 8 years years I've learned that life is best lived with a little bit of guts, a little bit of crazy and a little outside of my comfort zone.

Today, on the nine year anniversary of starting this blog (CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??? NINE YEARS????), I'm once again going outside of my comfort zone and trying something new.

Over three years ago I started using Beautycounter. Beautycounter, which you should know if you read the blog regularly, is a skincare and cosmetics company committed to education and activism for safer products and regulations in the beauty industry. Today, I use their skincare, cosmetics and other products almost exclusively, and now I’ve decided to join the movement and sell Beautycounter. EEK (insert crazy/scared/excited face)!

My friend and C&C reader, Evie, has been encouraging me to sell Beautycounter for years, and I've been politely declining for years. About a month ago I decided to get a little crazy and say "yes."

As you know from reading C&C, I care a lot about about health, be that through exercise, diet or the products I use on myself and my family. Over the past three years as a Beautycounter customer, I have become more educated about the products I use on my body.

Did you know products labeled as natural and organic may still have harmful ingredients in them, both natural and chemical. The same thing that makes mascara black is used in car tires and that many of the blushes sold in the US have lead in them??? In fact, there are over 1500 ingredients that are restricted from beauty products in Europe but only 30 in the United States?

The beauty industry is regulated by the FDA but with very little oversight. Even when personal care products are recalled, they are not required to remove them from the shelf.  As an education-first, B corporation (like brands such as Patagonia and Seventh Generation), Beautycounter is in Washington D.C and our state capitals lobbying to change this.

So why is this outside of my comfort zone? Despite being a natural salesperson, the idea of hosting "parties" or asking my friends to host "parties" is a little scary. I don't want friends to avoid me in fear that all I want to do is try to sell them moisturizer and mascara.

That said, I come from an authentic place in my support of this brand, and I intend to keep it that way. I have been using these products a long time. I believe in the products, and I believe in the mission of the company. It's about more than just skincare and makeup. It's about safer and better beauty.

I promise I won't bombard the blog with all things Beautycounter.

If you want to learn more, you can check out my FB page, Beautycounter and Beyond. I'll be posting information about Beautycounter as well as other resources and articles related to health and well being. You can also visit my Beautycounter consultant page (here), send me an email (cardicouture@gmail.com), or look out for a post in the coming weeks where I'll be sharing some of my favorite products here on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment