February 13, 2018

Keeping it Real: When your 6 year old wears your bra to school!

Last week the Mini Fashionista asked to wear "workout clothes" to school. I've encouraged this before given that she has PE 3 days a week and is extremely active on the playground at recess, so it seems perfectly logical. I inquired as to why the sudden change of heart...her reply "I just want to change things up." This is code for "I don't want to tell you, mom!"

She even let me snap this photo of her on our way out the door.

Fast forward to 5:00 p.m. in the locker room after swimming and she instructs me NOT to take her clothes out of her bag. Well, it was too late. I was already midway through the process when I discovered my sports bra in her bag! And she immediately confessed to wearing it to school (insert giggles from her friend in the background who was already aware of the situation). If you look at the above picture you can see the sports bra bunched up around her.

Channeling my best "Positive Parenting Solutions" self I kept calm. Honestly I felt a mix of emotions...disbelief, irritation (that she took something of mine without asking), laughter, amusement...

My biggest question was "why does my 6 year old want to wear a bra?" Her reply "because _____ has one." Someone in her class has a bra, and she wanted to wear one too.

Much like the makeup situation I posted about recently (here), this was an opportunity to draw upon my best parenting skills. Instead of saying "NO, you can't wear a bra. You don't need a bra. You are 6 years old," I decided to handle it differently and in an more effective way.

It's clear that she's curious about breasts and bras and about being a woman. By denying her interest I will only push her to hide her questions and curiosity from me in the future. She didn't ask me to wear the bra in the first place because she "knew I would say no", which I probably would have.... (lesson learned on my end to say "yes" to these types of things in the future).

So here's what I did. I told her that she can have a sports bra, but that she will have to buy it for herself. Because she doesn't have breasts, she doesn't need a bra, and I am not going to use my money to buy her clothes she doesn't need. We looked at some bras on Target and identified that they cost around $10, which is a big portion of her saved up spending money.

I encouraged her to think about it for a week. I told her that when there is something I really want I often wait a week or so to be sure I really want it. I also pointed out that she would likely wear it once or twice, forget about it, and then grow out of it. So maybe it's not the best use of her money.

This has definitely been one of the more amusing and laughable parenting experiences thus far. These moments serve as little lessons for me and the Mini. She's learning about life and I'm learning about how to let her live hers! :)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting and being so open about parenting stuff! It gives the rest of us permission to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. We all experience the same things yet somehow feel as if we are alone.

      Delete
  2. oh my goodness what a surprising experience given her age! now i'm dying to understand why ___ in her class is currently wearing one! are kids developing that much younger now? or is society pushing these things earlier? -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. It seems really early to me. None of these girls need a bra...who knows what the allure is.

      Delete
    2. Hi there! I used to be in girls' athletic apparel and one possible explanation is that the other girl might be in cheer/dance/gymnastics, where it's somewhat common to wear a "sports bra" and either shorts or leotard. As strange as it seems (and it seemed strange to me, too!) it isn't a sexualized thing in those contexts. For tweens (10-12) I actually think it's a net positive thing that sports bras are seen more as a fashion thing/"choice" rather than something necessarily based on need, because I can remember feeling a big divide during those years as someone who wasn't yet developed and the girls whose parents deemed they "needed" a bra (i.e. I felt left out or somehow less than). Hope that's helpful!

      Delete