December 7, 2017

Keeping it Real: Digital Detox

A few months ago I took a ten day digital detox. I was feeling overly addicted to all things social media and needed a break.

For the first few days I found myself reaching for my phone and wanting to open Facebook and Instagram (which I had removed), but after a few days I felt free. I felt free from the constant pull, the constant need to connect with something beyond what I was experiencing in that moment. 

You know that feeling? The feeling you get when you sit down in a waiting room, when someone leaves the table to go to the bathroom, when you're stopped at a stop light....that feeling you get so many times a day...and in that moment instead of just "being" you feel the need to pull out your phone?

During my detox I was able to step back and observe how much social media and our addictions to our phones and computers takes away from real life social interactions. It distracts us from our family and friends and prevents us from truly being present. During my detox I noticed how annoying it is when others are constantly on their phones. It's annoying and it's rude. It was sad to admit that I had been that person too.

I didn't know how long I would stay on the detox, but after about ten days I decided that it had been enough. It didn't take long to realize that social media was just a lot of noise and distraction. That said, I missed seeing the photos of my niece. I missed seeing the mountain adventures of my friends. I missed seeing the joy and happiness of the people I love.

So I decided to go back, but on different terms. The first thing I did was to significantly reduce the number of accounts I was following on Instagram. I went from 600 to less than 200 (not all of which are active accounts). I also decided to write a "Technology Contract" with myself. Here's what it looks like.

I will not....
- Check social media on weekdays until after I take my daughter to school
- Look at social media when in the presence of family or friends
- Look at Instagram more than 3x/day
- Look at social media in bed
- Let social media take away from real life social interactions
- Look at email or social media on my phone after 9 p.m.

For the first few weeks I did a really good job of keeping to my contract. During that time I was getting what I wanted out of my social media interactions, but I didn't feel controlled by it.

And then I let things slide....I went back to looking at my phone with much greater frequency, looking at it in bed and after 9 p.m. Once again I let myself be controlled by the addiction.

While I love some aspects of social media, I want it to have a less significant presence in my life. So I'm going back to the contract, and I'm hopeful that after a few weeks of compliance it will become an effortless habit and a permanent way of life.

Anyone want to join me? You won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment