March 5, 2014

C&C on the Move

This past weekend my +1 and I left the Mini Fashionista at home and headed to Colorado. Our agenda: 1) Client meetings (for my +1), 2) Visit with college friends (for me) and 3) The Snow Mountain Stampede XC ski race. 

We spent Thursday night and Friday morning in Denver, and then headed into the mountains to stay just outside of Winter Park at Devil's Thumb Ranch. Two years ago we had lunch at the ranch after my husband competed in the Snow Mountain Stampede. After that short visit, we knew that we had to come back and stay for more than a few hours. It is a winter paradise.  

The main lodge was modeled after Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood with a hexaganol center room. The grounds of the property are breathtaking. There isn't a bad view to be found. The accomodations include lodge rooms and cabins. 


Fortunately for us, all the lodge rooms were booked, so we were "forced" to stay in the newly built High Lonesome Lodge in one of the 1000 sqft guest suites. It was pretty fantastic! 


On Saturday we competed in the Snow Mountain Stampede. The race conditions were not ideal, with snow and wind gusts over 25 mph. While my +1 raced 42K, I decided that I would stick to the 21K race. Going to an altitude of nearly 9,000 feet from sea level is not an easy physiological feat (It takes 1-2 weeks for your body to acclimate), so I decided to play it safe.

Well, it paid off! I ended up placing 2nd overall and 1st in my age category.

Then it was back to the ranch for some R&R. We spent the remainder of our visit, Saturday, Sunday and Monday relaxing, skiing, eating and savoring some adult alone time. I even got to enjoy an 80 minute massage at their spa. HEAVENLY! 

It was hard to do too much sitting around because the trails at Devil's Thumb are so spectacular. 

We did manage to balance our outdoor activites with some indoor activites: reading, checkers and the aforementioned eating and drinking. The Lodge has two restaurants and a coffee shop all with great menus. We did not go hungry! 

Not only is Devil's Thumb Ranch a great place for some adult R&R, but it's also extremely family friendly.  With a pool, theater room, ice rink, sleigh rides and countless other activities (any interest in laser biathalon?), the Ranch offers something for everyone. I have no doubt that we will be back here again very, very soon. 

After weekends like this I feel so fortunate. I feel lucky to have in-laws to watch the Mini Fashionista. I feel lucky to have the means to travel and exerpience such incredible places, and most of all I feel lucky to have an incredible +1 to do it with. Life is good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment